Friday, November 20, 2009

Ultimate chocolate chip cookies (recipe by David Leite)



I first came across this recipe by David Leite on Chez Pim's blog, and then read numerous rave reviews about this recipe. Finally, after drooling over this every time I re-read the recipes/reviews, I put this into real action this week.

The things that set this recipe from the rest:
* good quality dark couverture (french for "cover") chocolate - they melt better in the baking process.
* large pellet/button/feves - whatever you want to call those shapes
* sea salt - this no doubt lifts the dimension of flavours
* RESTING the dough for 24-36 hours - just like all good steaks and wine, resting does make a difference according to Leite.

Notes about the recipe:
* the units are american units, so need to convert to metrics
* I decreased sugar contents because the recipe is written for Americans!! Dropped white sugar from 227g to 120g. Dropped brown sugar from 283g to 200g. I think it turned out fine. Can't imagine how sweet it would be if I followed the recipe.
* I am too lazy to find cake/break flour, so I just used homebrand plain flour.
* As for chocolate, I used Lindt piccoli bittersweet (58% cocoa) buttons.

Photos of the baking and end result:





The result is a cookie that is crunchy on the outer ring, soft and fluffy in the middle. The choc discs melt and become stratas of oozing chocolate. The ooziness (word??) is still there after the cookie is cooled :)





You can read more about Leite's 6 month research on making the ultimate cookie here.

No comments:

Post a Comment